[mythtv-users] Running XBMC on an Xbox as a MythTV frontend

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 18:05:57 UTC 2010

On 18/01/2010 7:55 AM, Matt Emmott wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Christian<CvB at kruemel.org>  wrote:
>>> Is an Xbox a viable frontend for watching Live TV?
>>
>> I'm using XBMC (on Linux, not an X-Box) also to watch live tv. You need to
>> figure out for yourself if this is "viable" for you, but at least it's
>> working.
>
> The original Xbox is a 733MHZ P3 with (I think) 64MB RAM. Granted, it
> has one sole purpose so it's speedier than a comparable PC, but
> regardless, it's too slow for anything other than standard def
> content. If you want HD you'll need to run XBMC on something beefier -
> The AppleTV with the new Broadcom mini PCIe chip allegedly can handle
> HD but I haven't tried it yet.
>
> If you want to use XBMC as your Myth frontend do a search for the
> native mythtv:// support. It works great on my Windows box for both
> live TV and recordings, although I'm not sure if commercial skipping
> or scheduling recordings is supported.

I'm using XBMC on an original XBox now, myself, as a frontend to MythTV,
and it works fine for SD tv. HD causes it to choke, however, unsurprisingly.

Newer version of XBMC do have Commercial Skip functionality, but I'm not
sure if it's been backported to the XBox branch yet.

Scheduling recordings is not supported in XBMC (Yet, they're working on
a "Unified PVR frontend" system that promises to have this working too,
but this particular branch has been LONG delayed, as they're having to
do a lot of internal work to get this kind of thing working properly),
but I use MythWeb for that, which works just fine for me.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston