[mythtv-users] PVR350 TVOUT

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Mon Jan 18 19:33:55 UTC 2010

On 1/18/2010 1:22 PM, Ken Smith wrote:
> Ben Kamen wrote:
>> On 1/17/2010 11:19 PM, Larry Howe wrote:
>>>
>>> If anyone with experience should read this, let me add...my goal is to
>>> have the OSD on the PC monitor and the played-back video on the TVOUT. I
>>> had it working like this some years ago on an earlier mythtv box.
>>> Although if my only option is to have both the OSD and the played-back
>>> video on the TVOUT, then I'll go for that too.
>>
>> I'm doing that on my nVidia card... it's in Cloned TwinView mode where
>> the
>> nVidia's VGA and TVout are both active and set for a set rez.
>>
>> Has a couple caveats but works nice otherwise.
>>
>> -Ben
>>
> A couple of questions about this.
>
> Does this change mean that the PVR-350 is also dead as a capture device.
> I have one of those and even with the demise of Analog TV it's S-Video
> input is handy.

Analog isn't dead yet - I'm using mine for receiving Comcast Cable TV.

Also, (surprisingly, some OTA stations can still broadcast NTSC if they meet certain qualifications (although I haven't run the numbers))

> I hope to use a nVidia card to drive a projector in 1080p and also use
> the S-Video out to drive an SD TV. With a bit of luck, at the same time.
> Does an nVidia deal with that OK? I'd like to do something similar to a
> Matrox Parhelia card I have in a Windows system that runs the monitor in
> 1280x1024 and produces a clone image in 625 line PAL, obviously with a
> lot lower resolution. Is a nVidia 9800 GS, capable of doing something
> similar?

I'm using an nVidia FX 5200 (old) and I'm running an Epson projector w/S-Video with the VGA output (1 of 2)
set for 800x600 (until I get some work finished and figure the stretch mode) to turn up the rest.

Section "Device"
     Identifier     "Device0"
     Driver         "nvidia"
     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
     Option         "DPI" "100 x 100"
     Option         "NoLogo" "1"
     Option         "UseEDID" "false"
     Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "TV-0, CRT-0"
     Option         "TwinView"
     Option         "TwinViewOrientation" "clone"
     Option         "NvAGP" "3"

EndSection

Section "Screen"
     Identifier     "Screen0"
     Device         "Device0"
     Monitor        "Monitor"
     Option         "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
     Option         "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
     DefaultDepth    24
     SubSection     "Display"
          Depth       24
          Modes      "800x600"
     EndSubSection
EndSection

The only thing that's weird is that if I try to switch terminals at the keyboard with Alt-F2 and so on,
the screen is mucked up. Haven't figured it out but don't care right now. Otherwise, works well..

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.
Email: bkamen AT benjammin DOT net              Web: http://www.benjammin.net

Fortune says:
Once, there was NO fun ... This was before MENU planning, FASHION
statements or NAUTILUS equipment ... Then, in 1985 ... FUN was
completely encoded in this tiny MICROCHIP ... It contain 14,768 vaguely
amusing SIT-COM pilots!!  We had to wait FOUR BILLION years but we
finally got JERRY LEWIS, MTV and a large selection of creme-filled
snack cakes!