[mythtv-users] MBE Horsepower...

Gavin Peters gavin at ytz.ca
Mon Jan 18 19:36:55 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 01:32:11PM -0600, Andrew Close wrote:

> i know the ION can be used as a good working frontend because the GPU
> takes the brunt of the work.  but is it sufficient for a backend
> managing the DB and system stuff as well as comm-flagging?  granted,
> in process comm-flagging would really make the thing work, but i don't
> need things comm-flagged in real time.

Until recently I used an ION 330 (ASRock ION 330) as a combined FE/BE.
Worked fine.  It was almost realtime at comflagging two sources; like
within 10% of realtime.

However, I recently switched to using it FE only, and set up a dual core
AMD Phenom X2 550BE @ 3.6GHz as my backend.

It's faster.

- Gavin