[mythtv-users] MBE Horsepower...

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 19:46:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Gavin Peters <gavin at ytz.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 01:32:11PM -0600, Andrew Close wrote:
>>
>> i know the ION can be used as a good working frontend because the GPU
>> takes the brunt of the work.  but is it sufficient for a backend
>> managing the DB and system stuff as well as comm-flagging?  granted,
>> in process comm-flagging would really make the thing work, but i don't
>> need things comm-flagged in real time.
>>

> Until recently I used an ION 330 (ASRock ION 330) as a combined FE/BE.
> Worked fine.  It was almost realtime at comflagging two sources; like
> within 10% of realtime.
>
> However, I recently switched to using it FE only, and set up a dual core
> AMD Phenom X2 550BE @ 3.6GHz as my backend.

sweet.  that's what i was hoping to hear. :)
most of our recorded content is watched days (if not weeks) after it's
recorded.  so taking time to comm-flag really isn't an issue.  i'm
more interested in keeping the power used for an always on appliance
to a minimum.  so this might be a good solution.
then when i get around to playing with VM's on the desktop i can set
up a slave BE for any additional comm-flagging/transcoding that may
need to be done.  the desktop gets turned off when not in use(at least
at the moment).
i guess i'll have to keep my eyes peeled for any sales. :D

--
Andrew Close