[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] pcHDTV-5500 as NTSC Receiver

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 18 20:08:34 UTC 2010

On Monday 18 January 2010 12:41:19 pm Ben Kamen wrote:
> I'd like to add some more recording channels for my Cable inputs (at the
>  moment) but wonder if in the long-run I would be better off with an HDTV
>  card (like the pcHDTV-5500 as I have a 3000 already).
>
> I heard the pcHDTV3000 was bad for NTSC (cable) so I don't bother using
>  it..

Not sure what you mean by "bad". It's a simple frame grabber, which means you
have to do compression in software, which with Myth limits you to only a
couple of codecs, that are not the best.

But it works, I have a 3000 I use with XAWTV on a non-Myth machine, it
certainly does what it's supposed to do, it's nice to be able to get analog
and digital using only one slot.