[mythtv-users] mythtv box not powerful enough?

Iain Buchanan iaindb at netspace.net.au
Tue Jan 19 00:14:22 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 10:21 -0700, Travis Tabbal wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 9:47 PM, Iain Buchanan
> <iaindb at netspace.net.au> wrote:
>
>         how about if the laptop is just the FE - good enough then?
>          mpeg-2 only
>         since I'm in Australia.
>
> It will probably be fine in that case. Just record something and try
> to play it back while the backend isn't doing any other recording.

I will, eventually!  I don't have a separate backend yet!

>         http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775Twins-HDTV
>

> The mobo looks fine. Is that for an older P4 type chip? I'm not up to
> date on Intel. The onboard video won't help you decode though.

yes, an LGA 775.  I would purchase a PCIe, maybe an 8800 GT or something
(haven't looked into that yet) so the ATI will be unused!

>  But as a data point, I was running mpeg2 here with HD on a AMD
> X2-3800 using CPU decoding and it worked well. The only trouble I had
> was with the HDD getting too busy with the database and OS on the same
> disk as the recordings. I moved the OS to an old IDE drive I had
> sitting around and it helped a ton. When decoding a 720p broadcast
> with CPU I was using about 30%. 1080i with deinterlacing (bob2x) I was
> using about 70% CPU. I'm in the US using ATSC, so mpeg2 at a max of
> about 20Mbps.

That's not a bad idea, I could purchase a second HD and take out the
DVD.  What would take the most load from a FE/BE - the database or the
recordings?  I could even put NAS on a g/bit lan (hmmmm) anyhoo that's
down the line!

thanks,

<Brandy> haha, I received two letters from the tax department. One
 saying I've paid $1328 too much in taxes; the other saying I owe $4764