[mythtv-users] PVR350 TVOUT

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 19 00:39:28 UTC 2010

On 01/18/2010 07:30 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
> On 1/18/2010 6:25 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 01/18/2010 02:34 PM, Jeff wrote:
>>>
>>> Of course not! ;-)
>>>
>>> It still works great as a capture device.   As a matter of fact, a
>>> 250 is
>>> just a 350 without the MPEG2 output decoder.
>>>
>>> And it will still work as an output device as others have noted, but
>>> using
>>> the "X" driver for the 350's output instead.
>>>

>> Meaning you won't get the hardware decoder usage, but if you have a
>> system that can't decode 480i60 (or 576i50) at a max of 9.6Mbps in real
>> time, you shouldn't be using it for Myth.  It might make a nice firewall
>> or router--that is, if you like to spend 10 times as much electricity
>> running it as you would running a firewall/router dedicated appliance.
>
> That's an interesting question I pondered.
>
> I don't think the PVR-350's decoder can be used for anything other
> than the TVout.
>
> Is that correct?

Correct.  But, really, the PVR-350 decoder is useless, as with even
almost-modern hardware, decoding 9.6Mbps 480i60 or 576i60 MPEG-2 in
software on a general-purpose CPU is trivial.

OK, actually, "useless" isn't the right term.  The PVR-350 decoder
hardware is an anachronism.  It's not 1999, anymore.  :)

Mike