[mythtv-users] 32 vs. 64 bit, any significant difference?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 19 01:57:52 UTC 2010

On 01/18/2010 08:42 PM, Tortise wrote:
> This maybe a little OT, however I've come up against the 2G file size
> limits in email clients.  Best I can tell this is a 32 bit file size
> (client processing / handling?) limit.   (Its the reason I've sent a
> few duplicates to the list in error, my sent box is is now full (2G)
> so I am currently moving sent files manually.  If I do another send /
> receive before doing the manual move it gets sent again.  While I
> could send in list apologies that would be a just another bloat email
> - I've therefore refrained - so hope this is acceptable as an apology
> as I am writing now....)
>
> I am actively pursuing fixes.  Shifting to 64 bit seems part of the
> solution?
>
> However plenty of myth files record > 2G so I am not sure where the 2G
> limit comes in, it may be the file system(s) allow larger files?
>
> Anyway is anyone running 64 bit got email client files > 2G and any
> file size limits issues in 64 bit land?  I've not found much about 64
> bit email file size limits and that suggests the file size limit size
> has been cascaded out some mega amount to no longer be an issue for
> some time to come in 64 bit Worlds?

It's more a limitation of how the program was written than a limitation
of the underlying CPU architecture.

So, perhaps it's time to switch from Outlook Express 6 to a different
mail client...  (Not knowing OE, I don't know if a newer version fixes
the issue or if you actually need a completely different program.)

Then again, you can likely archive some of the old messages to cut the
size of the "current" data that OE has to manage.

Mike