[mythtv-users] Using the HVR-950Q

Bob Cunningham FlyMyPG at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 05:27:00 UTC 2010

On 01/18/2010 09:07 PM, Kichigai Mentat wrote:
> Hey all. I've decided to build yet another hobo-DVR (that is, a
> MythBox out of old, outdated components I had lying around because I
> don't have cash for anything new), and I'm trying to use Mythbuntu to
> drive a WinTV HVR-950Q to record a few shows for later viewing on my Mac.
>
> I've come across this page:
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-950Q
> What I have to do, apparently, is overwrite the firmware on my HVR.
> What I want to know is if this will interfere with the usage of the
> tuner on my Mac with EyeTV (or any other application for that matter)?
> Or am I misunderstanding how the firmware works?

The driver must load the firmware to RAM each time the device is
initialized.  The firmware is not stored within the 950Q when it is
powered off.  Each 950Q driver includes the firmware version it was
designed to work with, and loads it when needed.

The firmware load can take about 5 seconds to complete under Linux.
This is a relatively long time, and may occasionally cause things like a
MythTV LiveTV request to time out.  No worries: Just request LiveTV
again and it will succeed.

-BobC