[mythtv-users] Question about /storage

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 19 07:24:51 UTC 2010

On 01/19/2010 02:09 AM, Stef Coene wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 January 2010, Kenni Lund wrote:
>
>> 2010/1/18 Phusion:
>>
>>> I was wondering if after installing MythTV 0.22.2 under the setup for
>>> storage directories I could set it to another directory like /data
>>> instead of /storage. If so do I need to copy the directories that
>>> already seem to be under /storage and also change ownership? Is there
>>> anything else I need to do to change it to /data for example.
>>>
>> No, you don't need to do anything else. If you copy your current
>> directories and files with the cp command with the -a (archive)
>> argument, all files and directories will keep their current permission
>> and ownership, eg:
>> cp -a /storage/* /data/
>>
> Better is to use "rsync -auHv"
> It will sync all the files and keep it all the permissions, soft links, hard
> links, ...
> And you can restart if something went wrong.

Even better, throw in a --progress and you can see how long of a lunch
break to take while it copies your terabytes of data (or, maybe, how
long of a vacation).

I completely agree that rsync is the way to go, but IMO, it's because of
--progress.

Also, I'd recommend that no one ever use rsync unless they first use the
--dry-run argument.  Look for the messages in the archive about people
losing all their recordings because of getting the command-line wrong in
rsync.

Mike