[mythtv-users] MBE Horsepower...

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 18:47:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Gavin Peters <gavin at ytz.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 01:32:11PM -0600, Andrew Close wrote:
>>
>> i know the ION can be used as a good working frontend because the GPU
>> takes the brunt of the work.  but is it sufficient for a backend
>> managing the DB and system stuff as well as comm-flagging?  granted,
>> in process comm-flagging would really make the thing work, but i don't
>> need things comm-flagged in real time.
>>

> Until recently I used an ION 330 (ASRock ION 330) as a combined FE/BE.
> Worked fine.  It was almost realtime at comflagging two sources; like
> within 10% of realtime.
>
> However, I recently switched to using it FE only, and set up a dual core
> AMD Phenom X2 550BE @ 3.6GHz as my backend.
>
> It's faster.

yea, i had an old athlon 4000 and upgraded it to a E5200 iirc, made a
big difference in a lot of areas, but just having the faster bus I
think was a huge improvement, especially since I have a 6drive raid 5
array and was recording off two cable box via firewire and three
ATSC/QAM pci cards, before I'd get a lot of hiccups even with low cpu
use, not everythings perfect and I can run 3-4 commflag sessions
simultaneously with all my three frontends never showing issues in
receiving information from the backend.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!