[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend idle cpu consumption help

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 21:38:32 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 1:15 PM, jansenj <jansenj+myth at gmail.com> wrote:
> No luck, I can't get it to build and install to my own personal directory.
> vdpau is complaining:
>>
>> vdpau.h:47:25: error: vdpau/vdpau.h: No such file or directory
>>
>> and if I skip vdpau, the install fails:
>> cd themes/ && /usr/bin/qmake themes.pro -unix QMAKE=/usr/bin/qmake -o
>> Makefile
>> Project ERROR: Please run ./configure
>> make: *** [themes//Makefile] Error 2
>>

> Well, Even though the themes didn't install properly, I thought I'd give it
> a try, and it seems to have worked.
>
> I executed my modified version of the frontend, and it still sits at 14% yet
> even after the hack from 70Hz refresh down to 5 refresh.
> I changed both instances of:
> drawTimer->start(1000 / 70);
> drawTimer->start(1000 / 5);
>
> So either, that was not the right way to affect the animation pulse rate, or
> the root cause of this cpu usage is NOT the animation pulse.

The other possibility is that your modified mythfrontend binary is
still dynamically linking against the original installed libraries.
Two different ways to check this:
1. "ldd /path/to/modified/mythfrontend" and see where libmyth*
libraries point to.
2. Add a logging statement before or after each drawTimer->start()
call and verify that it is being printed.

FYI, since it's been a long time, I tried again changing the 70Hz to
5Hz, and my mythfrontend idle CPU usage dropped from 7% to about 0.5%.

Jim