[mythtv-users] Using Two DTAs with One PVR-500

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jan 20 00:39:33 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 19 January 2010 05:26:52 pm Kirk Bocek wrote:
> The short answer:
> Use a channel 4 signal combiner.
>
> The long answer:
>
> As part of Comcast's analog shutdown/ClearQAM Encryption process I'm
>  getting a couple of their DTAs hooked into my MythTV setup. Comcast gave
>  me Motorola DTA100s but this would apply to the seemingly more common Pace
>  DC50X DTAs as well.
>
> These DTAs offer *only* a single RF/Coaxial output with a channel 3/4
> selector. The problem is that my ancient PVR-500, while having two internal
> tuners, has only a *single* physical RF/Coaxial input.

You're saying the boxes have *only* RF outputs, no baseband (Composite or S-
Video) outputs? Could you get boxes with baseband outputs, but pay more?

This would mean your TV set would have to have an analog tuner, in spite of
recent FCC rules?

The original reason for the channel 3/4 output, was the theory that one of
them would be unused in a given market/ The boxes probably have very crappy
vestigial sideband filters (because good ones are expensive), and thus throw
crap out of band.