[mythtv-users] Using XMLTV and EIT (on a per-channel basis)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Jan 20 16:23:26 UTC 2010

David Kubicek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wandering whether it's possible to use XMLTV and EIT guides on a
> per channel basis. I found one discussion on Ubuntuforums where somebody
> said it was possible, but there are no details and just thinking about
> it myself - considering how Video Sources work in mythtv-setup - I'm not
> sure how to do it properly.
>
> First off, you might need to know that I have two EIT-only Video Sources
> (for two LNB's), both are connected to each of my two DVB-S2 cards. One
> provider is a bit skimpy on the program details, the other is fine. Some
> channels are available from both providers and MythTV is unable to match
> programs on these paired channels, because of differences in their
> titles and descriptions.
>
> I'd like to use my XMLTV grabber instead, after all it worked much
> better when I had an analog setup. The problem is there are a few
> foreign/FTA channels for which I don't have any XMLTV source. Right now,
> I have two choices - broken labels and poor scheduler decisions for my
> favorite channels, or no guide at all for my foreign/FTA channels. As
> you've probably guessed, I don't like that. :)
>
> I can think of one way it could possibly be done, but I have no idea if
> it'll work: have both Sources use XMLTV and disable
> "channel.useonairguie" for everything *except* those foreign/FTA
> channels. Theoretically, that might do it, but I don't want to break
> everything just to test it. Does anybody have some experience with this?
> The devs would probably know, do they read this list?

Works, and is probably quite common. I have a DVB-T installation. The TV channel
guide info comes via XMLTV (Radio Times), but there are radio channels not
covered by XMLTV, so I switch on EIT for those.

You just have to make sure that every channel that has an xmltvid assigned has
the EIT switched off, and vice-versa.

--

Mike Perkins