[mythtv-users] HW CAMs, CI support, legal subscription viewing (DVB-S2)

Johan johan.vanderkolk at dommel.be
Wed Jan 20 19:16:35 UTC 2010

Martin Bene wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> As a matter of fact, I'd very much like to see some people who have
>> legal hardware CAM usage implemented in MythTV provide some information
>> to help people who want to use it (and whose providers allow it).
>>

> I've got two myth boxes with CI/CAM/Subscription cars running:
>
> 0.21:
> * WinTV-NOVA-CI, DVB-S only (CI on daughter card)
> * Alphacrypt CAM
> * German SKY Subscription card
> * Austrian ORF channels also unlocked by SKY Card
>
> Has been up for ages and works without any problems. Has two additional TerraTec Cinergy 1200 DVB-S Cards for FTA. Used to have a 2nd NOVA-CI with CI/CAM, no problem with that setup either
>
> 0.22:
> * TT 3200, DVB-S + DVB-S2, (CI on daughter card)
> * Alphacrypt CAM
> * German SKY Subscription card
> * Austrian ORF channels also unlocked by SKY Card
>
> Have been using this since November, also works without problems. Multirec with 2 Recorders works for decoding 2 streams from the same transponder. Encrypted ORF1/2 HD, DVB-S2 also work.
>
> 0.22:
> * TT 3200, DVB-S + DVB-S2, (CI on daughter card)
> * ORF Cryptoworks CAM
> * ORF Subscriber Card
>
> This worked after using the ORF Card in a stand-alone receiver and kept working for just a few weeks in mythtv; looks like the automatic extension of subscription doesn't work correctly, need to plug the card into a standalone receiver every few weeks for ~ 30 minutes to reenable the subscription.
>
> I didn't try to access any CAM Menus via Mythtv - I set up the CAMs/Smartcards using gnutv -cammenu and turned off pin protection there.
>
> Bye, Martin

So far, there are just a few cards reported here that support a CI under
Linux. Even worse, most cards are from TechnoTrend, a company that went
bankrupt last year.
They have been taken over by ttgoerler, (www.ttgoerler.com) who seems to
discontinue the PC card receiver line.

Hauppauge seems to use the USB CI for all new cards.

The only working DVB-S2 card according to the replies, is the
discontinued TT 3200. (The TT-3200 was my first choice, but no local
supplier could deliver, and they stated that they could not re-stock the
card)

Johan