[mythtv-users] Firewire channel change for SA4200?

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Thu Jan 21 00:11:43 UTC 2010

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> I know nada about the SA boxes, but really, it ought to be possible
> for us to have a single firewire channel-change program that covers
> all set top boxes. They're all using libavc1394 for communications
> (A/V Commands over 1394), which is pretty well defined for all the
> basics we need. MythTV changes channels on most (all?) firewire set
> top boxes internally for firewire recording devices, anyway... (not
> that I have time or desire to do anything about this myself right now,
> I'm just sayin').

If only that was true. The most complete version I have seen is from
Major Idiot who addressed most set top boxes.

The problem has been that while most STBs generally follow the AVC
structure some have minor but important variations. The SA boxes being
particularly note worthy. The Major's code did deal with all the known
nuances. It would be good to work that into the myth firewire/ieee1394
code (which is very nicely written BTW!) if it hasn't already.

I'm currently looking at expanding my power on/off/status code to
include other commands which would be useful for other functions. Wish
me luck! If anyone has insight on the latest AVC spec that would be
useful, I'm not keen on shelling out $350 for it.

And yes once I have a few minutes of quality time, I will add it to the
contribs directory. But for now it is at:
https://code.google.com/p/sa3250cmd/ and it should work on any AVC
compliant box.