[mythtv-users] Input priority

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Thu Jan 21 00:44:37 UTC 2010

> On 01/20/2010 06:18 PM, Kevin Ross wrote:
>> Okay thanks for clearing that up.  I guess the best way to give one
>> input
>> preference over another is just make sure it has a lower ID (i.e. is
>> added
>> first in mythtv-setup).
>>

> Exactly.  That way you've given preference to the input /without/
> affecting recording priority for any episodes of any shows you want to
> record.
>
> It all comes down to the order you connect inputs (you can create cards
> in any order), and you should use "Delete all capture cards" to reorder
> things.
>
>> That's the way I have it now.  I have 4 tuners, 2 OTA and 2 HD-PVR's for
>> FIOS.  Of course, nearly everything that's available OTA is also
>> available
>> via FIOS, but I prefer it to record from OTA when possible, then from
>> FIOS
>> as a backup.  My OTA tuners are first in mythtv-setup, and the HD-PVR's
>> are
>> last.  I've adjusted the callsigns and channel numbers to match.  But I
>> also
>> bumped the input priority for the OTA tuners, but I will probably now
>> revert
>> that.
>>

> Remember, though, it's the input order that's important, not the card
> order.  I.e. the backend status page shows you the card order, not the
> input order.
>
> I have 2 backends with 2 capture cards each (and /only/ local storage).
> When I created capture cards, I created those on the master backend
> first, then the two on the remote backend last.  However, I connected
> inputs on card 1, then 3, then 4, then 2.  Therefore, my system's
> backend status page shows Encoder 1 through 4 in order, but it will
> record first using encoder 1, then 3, then 4, then 2.  All my capture
> cards are the same, so the reason I chose the order is to load-balance
> my storage.  (Encoder 1 is always used first, so the MBE does the first
> recording, but since additional encoders are only used when recording
> multiple simultaneous recordings, I connected 3 and 4 to pick up the
> next-most-frequent usage, then 2 for the least-frequent usage.)  I could
> have added cards in any order (so I could add them in the same order as
> I connected inputs), but I like having them organized by backend on my
> status page, rather than by order of preference.
>
> If you have set input preferences, the best way to ensure you go back to
> a known state is the Delete all capture cards approach.

Does this mean what I think it does?
 * no display tells you the actual order - you have to remember how you
configured it
 * on your example, LiveTV always starts on card 2, that being the
'lowest' priority by order, not on the highest numbered card
 * the input preference is useless, does nothing and is depreciated

I have 3 cards - a PVR150 on an STB and 2 DVB cards. The PVR150 is input 1
(is that the same as card 1?) with priority 1 and the DVB cards are inputs
2-5 and 6-9 with preference +5. Recordings for me have always used the DVB
cards first - you're saying they *SHOULD* be from the PVR150.

Very confused from NZ...

--
Robin Gilks