[mythtv-users] Kill frontend when TV is turned off.

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Jan 22 04:42:32 UTC 2010

On 01/21/2010 10:55 PM, Martin Ravell wrote:
>>> My Samsung has a serial "service" port, but I can't find any information
>>> about it in the manual or online.  Where did you get your details from -
>>> or was it documented in the manual already?
>>
>> Yes, the complete protocol was documented in the owners manual. Port
>> config (baud rate, data/parity/stop bits), carriage return hex code,
>> command codes, expected responses...everything. I was incredibly
>> shocked. The only thing I had to figure out was how to setup the
>> software.
>>
>> --
>> Ron
>

> Would you mind telling us the make and model of your TV Ron?
>
> I'm in the market and that sort of feature is something to consider when
> purchasing.

The LG 37" LCD I picked up 2 years ago also has a fully documented
serial port.

One thing to look for is how easy it is to change inputs on the TV. I
returned a Sharp LCD which required getting into the menu to change
inputs. Sony had the same sort of stupidly designed procedure. The LG
has a dedicated button on the side of the TV and one on the remote to
cycle through the active inputs (Antenna, Cable and HDMI (Mythbox)).
It's that sort of thing which you don;t think of checking while standing
in front of a wall of TV's.
And from about now, you might want to look for a 'all-LED' TV. Samsung
has one down around .33 inches thick. LG's 50" model is an obese .68
inches. I think my Nokia 810 is that thick! And incredibly bright and
low power requirements.

Geoff.