[mythtv-users] your thoughts about this Jetway hardware

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 22 16:22:35 UTC 2010

On 01/22/2010 09:59 AM, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> As you all know I currently run my MythTV 0.21.20080304-1 (FE & BE) on
> an Epia EN12000 board, with 1TB disk, a Terratec PCI DVB-T card and
> Fedora 12. It records 3 channels 24/7 off of one multiplex.
>

> I was thinking about moving towards a Jetway NC81-lf with AMD Athlon II
> X2 235e "Regor" @ 2700 Mhz, the same PCI DVB-T card and some memory.
>
> Can anybody here say it that would be enough to do the same job as the
> EN12000 currently does? Would playing SDTV recordings work well without
> XvMC? (my AMD 9550 copes well, but what about this one?)
> Could this new setup run valgrind and the backend at the same time
> without much issue? (yes, to fix that memory leak bug if it is still
> there in 0.22)
>
> Any constructive comments are welcome.

The 235e should be more than enough--should actually do fine for even
HDTV MPEG-2.

My question for you:  where did you find a 235e for sale?  I've been
looking for a 2XXe since the day they were released but have only found
them on sale "special order"--never in stock (and have never trusted the
vendors would actually get them).  It seems to me that Sony and HP are
getting all of the new dual-core energy-efficient series of AMD chips.

Mike