[mythtv-users] No sound on recorded programs playback (sigh)

steve networks1 at cox.net
Fri Jan 22 17:08:02 UTC 2010

After finally getting everything on my new build seemingly working, I
watched a recorded show and there was no sound.  When I play the saved file
with the movie player, the sound is there, so it's definitely some issue
with the connection between Mythv and the card.

This is on FC12, and it's an on-board sound system on a Gigabyte
GA-EP45-UD3R mobo, which the manual doesn't describe except to say it uses a
Realtek ALC889A codec.

The frontend setting are the defaults, i.e. audio output device = alsa:
default, passthrough = default, mac channels = stereo, upstream = passive,
and none of the spdif stuff checked.

Dmesg shows ALSA is loaded normally, and there are no bad looking messages
in the myth log; just says AFD opened codec (audio).

I'm a little afraid this may be related to the libfaad problems I was having
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-January/278749.html that I
thought were resolved with a symbolic link to the newer version.

Anyone know how I can fix this or how to debug?

Thanks,

Steve