[mythtv-users] VMWare on the backend. Viable solution?

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Sun Jan 24 09:26:16 UTC 2010

On 24/01/2010, at 3:48 AM, Kenni Lund wrote:

> cx88...isn't that the same module used on Hauppauge HVR-1300, HVR-4000
> etc, which is broken on newer kernels? Are you running another (newer)
> Linux distribution/kernel version in your guest, compared to your
> host? (I assume that it worked fine on your host?)
>
> I know that Mythbuntu 9.04 should work out-of-the-box with these
> Hauppauge cx88-based cards, while Mythbuntu 9.10 and other
> distributions with latest kernel upgrades fails.
>
> If this isn't a driver problem, I suggest you to take this question
> and the dmesg output to the kvm-devel mailing list. They're usually
> very helpful and some Intel developers also follows that list and
> often replies to VT-d and passthrough-related questions.
>
> Best Regards
> Kenni Lund

My host is Gentoo with a 2.6.32 kernel, and yes, the DVB card works just fine on that. The guest is Mythbuntu 9.10 with a 2.6.31 kernel. Following your mail, I did a little googling, and as you pointed out it looks like this card may be broken with Mythbuntu 9.10.  I have downloaded Mythbuntu 9.04 and shall load that up as a live CD tomorrow.

I'll post back with the results.

Cheers,

Jon