[mythtv-users] Help wanted with mixed SD/HD Setup (DVB-S, Astra 19.2)

alex at apics.co.uk alex at apics.co.uk
Sun Jan 24 21:30:25 UTC 2010

mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org wrote on 24/01/2010 20:23:42:

> From: Matthias Thyroff <nospam2 at thyroff.net>
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Date: 24/01/2010 20:24
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Help wanted with mixed SD/HD Setup (DVB-
> S, Astra 19.2)
> Sent by: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
>
> Another Sillyname wrote:

> >> Yes, this approach is wrong. You match cards to sources, where any
card on
> >> the source can tune ALL of the channels from that source. Your cards
cannot
> >> do that.
> >> You need to set up 2 sources even though they are pointed at the
> same actual
> >> transmitter. One source for SD, and one source for HD. That way the
> >> Hauppuage tuner is the only one which gets presented with HD
channels.

SD

> >> It is actually the correct way. If the HD receiver can also receive
the SD
> >> channels, then it will be a larger list of channels. If not you will
have 2
> >> mutually distinct channel lists.

> >> That is not possible, due to the constraint that a tuner attached to
> >> source must be able to tune all of the channels in that source.

Maybe

> >> You will have to set up 2 lineups. It should not be that hard with
XMLTV.
> >> The overall download should not be that any larger being split into 2
> >> chunks. Only if the HD receiver also gets the SD channels, AND your
xmltv
> >> program does NOT cache data, would the download be any bigger. The
xmltv
> >> program used by mythtv for Schedules Direct caches data for re-use.
Your
> >> version probably does too.
> >>
> >> Geoff
> >>

> >> --
> >>        Please let me know if anything I say offends you.
> >>         I may wish to offend you again in the future.
> >>
> >>         Tux says: "Be regular. Eat cron flakes."

> > Also be aware that sometimes your cards will load in different order
> > unless you force the load order.  It's to do with how quickly the
> > firmware loads into a card and then that card gets presented to the
> > kernel sooner.  Hot reboot and Cold Reboot affects the firmware
> >
> Hi,
>
> and thanks for both replies. I was afraid I had to create two lineups,
> that is a pitty because it is going to be two times exactly the same
> lineup, once with four additional HD channels of which three are the HD
> version of other available channels. My feeling is that the EPGDATA
> script does not do caching, well I will see.
>
> Regarding the device order, surprisingly it seems that the DVB-S
> Technisat very consitently is the first one up - that is good because I
> never got the UDEV-Rule writing right, I have to admit. Before, I was
> blacklisting and rc.local-loading a second card, but I did not find out
> how to blacklist the Hauppauge properly (actually, I got it blacklisted,

> but when manually loading the module, the dvb device would not be
> created, I don't know why). But that works anyway.

In case it is of any help, I couldn't get udev to do the job, so I wrote a
script to force the order of the cards...
As luck would have it I just put it on the wiki today...

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Force_DVB_Card_Order

Note: I know its very much not the 'correct' way to do it, but works 100%
for me..... (better than can be said for udev!)

> OK, some more channel scanning then, I am getting more and more
practice!

> Cheers,
>
> Matthias

Alex

alex at apics.co.uk

Homer Simpson: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove
anything that's even remotely true!