[mythtv-users] Remote LCD/VFD display that works with MythTV?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Jan 25 01:06:41 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Nicolas Riendeau <knight at teksavvy.com> wrote:
>> volume knob. I know all this, because I have the Elite, the Premiere
>> and the iMON Knob all in my stash of hardware here. :) (well, the Knob
>> is actually down at my brother's place in Brooklyn atm).
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999192
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999193
>>

> Do you think these could be used externally if I could find a case for them?
>
> Does it get its power from the USB or from the other cable (which I assumed
> is used to turn on/off the PC)?

In theory, you should be able to use an enclosure for an optical drive
to house the first of these units.  Maybe something like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817186102

You might need to do a little internal surgery to get the USB
connector on the LCD to mate to the USB connector on the enclosure,
but it should be easy enough.

I have one of the second type in my mythTV, although branded with
iMON, not Antec.  It's nice to have the extra buttons and controls.
You would need a small PC case with a double 5.25 drive bay to fit
that.  Or you could go nuts and build something completely custom.
Perhaps embedded directly into your wall.  It all depends on your
available time, money, and skills.

Eric