[mythtv-users] myth distro supporting legacy ati :/

Iain Buchanan iaindb at netspace.net.au
Mon Jan 25 01:45:48 UTC 2010

Hi all,

in my attempt to use a too-good-to-throw-away laptop (P4 3GHz with ati
9600/RV350) I tried it as backend-only, and the cpu usage is down around
5% for HD mpeg-2 dvb-t (great!) with an Artec USB tuner.  My kids love
watching TV from anywhere in the house now (works fine over 802.11g).

You'd think that 95% cpu leftover would be able to play live mpeg-2 as a
combined BE/FE, but nope, it's too much.  At least, too much for
xf86-video-ati (the OSS drivers).  I always had better performance from
the fglrx ati drivers.

I decided to try fglrx again, and found they've moved the RV350 chipset
to a legacy driver since I used it last, which I can only get running
with xorg-server 1.5.3 (yikes) and kernel 2.6.29.

It compiles, loads, and X starts, but I'm having glx / dri problems, so
I'm wondering if there's a myth distribution (binary / source / don't
care) that has support for the legacy ati drivers.  I'm hoping someone
else has solved the dependency problems, library issues, and api version
mismatch thingo's so that I don't have to.

Otherwise, is anyone using the legacy fglrx drivers for linux,
especially with the RV350?  I'd be interested to hear about it.

thanks,

How sharper than a hound's tooth it is to have a thankless serpent.