[mythtv-users] PCI-E Analog Card

Brent Norris brent at brentnorris.net
Mon Jan 25 02:21:41 UTC 2010

On 1/24/2010 7:55 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:

> After learning something about what you are doing, the only question I
> have is, why do you think you need 10 simultaneous recordings? I find it
> hard to believe that there are 10 channels of educational programming
> running at once.

Well the first reason is that I believe the system that is being spec'ed
by Vbrick has 10 "encoders".  After that the main reason is that this
system could end up being the primary way that people view television in
our district.  We have really moved away from televisions in our
district and instead our primary viewing system is projectors now.  As a
result of the projectors not having builtin tuners we have people
connecting VCRs to the projectors so they can tune channels from the
cable.  This is becoming a problem as there are fewer and fewer analog
tuners being made and thus more and more tunerless VCRs.

Vbrick solves this problem by making the web browser the means to
watching content by encoding it and basically posting it to a Sharepoint
system.

I want to remove the VCR by putting the windows version of mythfrontend
on the teachers desktops and sharing the videos on my own web pages.

All that is a complicated way of saying that I need to build enough
tuners into this that if 10 people want to watch something, I am not
going to run out of tuners for it.  10 tuners really only translates to
2 tuners per school.  I know there is a lot of chance that everyone will
be watching the same content at once (presidential address, shuttle
launch, etc) but I prefer to overbuild and no one use it than underbuild
and have people complaining that they can't watch what they need to.

That brings me to another problem.  Having installed the Windows
Prebuilt and connected it to my personal mythtv setup, I am not getting
any text on it.  The frontend loads, but all of the text lines in the
menu are blank/incorrectly rendered.  Anyone ran across that before?

Brent