[mythtv-users] VMWare on the backend. Viable solution?

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Mon Jan 25 12:30:21 UTC 2010

2010/1/24 Jon Whitear <jon at whitear.org>:

> On 24/01/2010, at 3:48 AM, Kenni Lund wrote:
>>
>> cx88...isn't that the same module used on Hauppauge HVR-1300, HVR-4000
>> etc, which is broken on newer kernels? Are you running another (newer)
>> Linux distribution/kernel version in your guest, compared to your
>> host? (I assume that it worked fine on your host?)
>>
>> I know that Mythbuntu 9.04 should work out-of-the-box with these
>> Hauppauge cx88-based cards, while Mythbuntu 9.10 and other
>> distributions with latest kernel upgrades fails.
>>
>> If this isn't a driver problem, I suggest you to take this question
>> and the dmesg output to the kvm-devel mailing list. They're usually
>> very helpful and some Intel developers also follows that list and
>> often replies to VT-d and passthrough-related questions.
>>
>> Best Regards
>> Kenni Lund
>>

> My host is Gentoo with a 2.6.32 kernel, and yes, the DVB card works just fine on that. The guest is Mythbuntu 9.10 with a 2.6.31 kernel. Following your mail, I did a little googling, and as you pointed out it looks like this card may be broken with Mythbuntu 9.10.  I have downloaded Mythbuntu 9.04 and shall load that up as a live CD tomorrow.
>
> I'll post back with the results.

Did you try with latest qemu-kvm v0.12.2 released 4 days ago? There's
a change in this version which should deny starting a guest with PCI
passthrough if no IOMMU is present...earlier versions would allow the
guest to start, but the passthrough would not work. I suppose this
should give you a definite answer if VT-d is enabled on your system.

Best Regards
Kenni Lund