[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Dropouts

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 03:43:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Alan Young <ayoung at teleport.com> wrote:
> Christopher Meredith wrote:
>>
>> I'm running trunk revision 23143 with an HD-PVR as my capture device
>> and in general, it works great. But I am experiencing frequent
>> dropouts during recording and it's starting to get on my nerves. Myth
>> does a good job of picking back up, but it still causes a loss of a
>> few seconds and an accompanying glitch. Here is what I get in the
>> backend log when this happens:
>>
>> 2010-01-17 20:47:34.394 DevRdB(/dev/video0) Error: Poll giving up
>> 2010-01-17 20:47:34.398 MPEGRec(/dev/video0) Error: Device error detected
>> 2010-01-17 20:47:34.399 DevRdB(/dev/video0): Stop(): Not running.
>>
>> It seems to happen at least once during every recording (sometimes
>> more) and doesn't seem to be limited to one or a few channels. Does
>> anyone have any ideas what could be going on? Thanks!
>>
>> Christopher
>
> What source are you recording from - Cable?  Satellite?  And what input are
> you using -  S-Video?  Component?  RCA?  SPDIF?

Sorry, that was a pretty lame description. I am using component cables
and optical SPDIF to record 720p cable from an SA3250HD.

Per the other response in this thread, I read this thread:

It looks like I'm now in that same boat. I am wondering whether anyone
nailed the problem down. It looks like a couple leading theories
centered around dirty AC3 from the source and/or flaky USB
controllers. I am actually using three USB hard drives in addition to
the HD-PVR and am really hoping that's not the problem. I can switch
to stereo for testing purposes though, if people are still thinking
that's the culprit.

Thanks!