[mythtv-users] Are some HD OTA programs broadcast in 4:3 aspect

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Jan 26 20:43:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, January 25, 2010 7:17 am, Brian Wood wrote:
> It wasn't until quite recently that stations guaranteed color to
> advertisers,
> until they have to guarantee the correct aspect the problem will persist.

Commercials sometimes have really bizarre aspect ratio issues, too.  I use
a converter, so by now I'm using to seeing SD content pillarboxed for HD,
then letterboxed by my converter (aka. "windowvision.")  Stupid, but
common and understandable.  But recently I saw an ad that had been
letterboxed for SD, then pillarboxed for HD, then letterboxed again by my
converter, so there was a little mail slot of picture in the middle of a
sea of black.