[mythtv-users] OT: Indoor VHF gain antenna

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Wed Jan 27 06:39:42 UTC 2010

William wrote:
> Despite what others have said here, a good mast mounted LNA type
> amplifier connected right at the feed point of the loop will improve
> your weak signal performance however it is susceptible to overload
> from nearby strong signals. I am talking about the kind of amp that is
> designed to be mounted at the feedpoint of a yagi antenna not the kind
> designed for use as a signal booster on long coax runs. The Channel
> Master #3041DSB Deluxe Antenna Amplifier is a good example.

The CM 7777 has an even lower noise figure than that.  But if you want a
very very low noise amplifier, go for:

http://www.researchcomms.com/hdtv.html

with a noise figure of 0.4 db.  Since your typical TV tuner probably has
a noise figure of somewhere around 6 db, using the RC LNA is like adding
5.6 db of gain to your antenna.