[mythtv-users] How to record a radio show manually ? Possible?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jan 28 02:43:48 UTC 2010

On 01/26/2010 11:16 PM, mythtv at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca wrote:
> Ya, recording local CBC radio via an SA4250 into an HD-PVR and myth is
> kind of odd. ;-) But I never got my analog tuner tv/FM card to work on
> FM. And myth's time stretch works so well, I can listen through the
> (mostly talk) radio show in now time :-)
>
> Except... how?
>
> I tried to set up a manual recording for the radio station (available as
> an encrypted QAM channel) but myth would not record it because there are
> no programs associated with it.
>
> Well, that's correct. Isn't that one reason I would use an all-manual
> record (channel, start time and duration) ?
>
> Is what I'm trying to do possible, and if so, any hints to what I am
> doing wrong welcomed.

One possible solution would be to 'dedicate' a channel which you never
actually watch, into a fake program source for your radio channel. You
might need some mysql experience, but basically, you would have the
tuning information of the radio channel substituted into the tuning info
for the actual (unwatched) tv channel. Then you have 'program' info. Not
sure if it would work, but it *might*...I have no idea if the tuner
would choke on the signal, since there is no video.

You could test by tuning the 'channel' from scan data, doing a cat of
the output of /dev/dbv etc, and using mplayer to play the resulting
file. If mplayer can play it, myth probably can record it.
Report back, please.
Geoff