[mythtv-users] annoying erratic key presses with remote on HD-PVR

John Kasunich jmkasunich at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 28 03:10:41 UTC 2010

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Wed, January 27, 2010 3:40 pm, J-e-f-f-A MythTV wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Kaushik Mallick
>> <kmallick2000 at hotmail.com>wrote:
>>> BTW, my HD-PVR is sitting next to a CRT monitor where I am doing the
>>> trial
>>> set up.
>>> Is it possible for the IR receiver to get stray signals from the CRT
>>> monitor?
>>
>> Sure!   A simple test if that's the issue would be to move the HD-PVR a
>> foot
>> or more away from the monitor and test again...
>
> I had a problem recently where my IR keyboard's receiver was picking up
> scatter from my IR remote and interpreting some of it as keystrokes.  That
> was pretty puzzling at first.

Some IR receivers have been confused by compact florescent lamps - the
electronic ballasts on some lamps run close enough to the 38KHz carrier
used by remotes that the receivers see lamp flicker.

If you are getting keypresses when nobody is using a remote, try
completely covering the IR receiver - upside down coffee cup or
whatever.  If the problem goes away, it was caused by IR light from
something, NOT by software.  If it persists, then the problem is elsewhere.

Regards,

John Kasunich