[mythtv-users] How can I fix over scan on nvidia 9500 GT

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 03:22:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 4:03 PM, John Nissley <jnissley at nissley.org> wrote:
> I know there is a big write up about how to do this but I just can not
> seem to get things to work and was hoping some one could give me
> something to try.
>
> I have an HDTV with a few hdmi ports.  I have a 9500 GT nvidia card and=20
> am using a DVI to HDMI cable to connect to the TV.  I have serious over=20
> scan that I have fixed for the most part with customer setting in the
> appearance section of the set up menus.  This works but is not really
> what I want.  I got the EDID information when X starts up and created a=20
> customer xorg.conf file but it did not seem to make any difference.

The first thing to check is whether the TV has a mode where it does
not do overscan. Sony Bravias do. I am pretty sure my panasonic does
too. Start here http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/

Other than that option, you can control overscan in more recent nvidia
drivers, the controls are in nvidia-settings, which has a gui. You
need to update nvidia-settings to a recent version to gain the
functionality. on't ask me the versions, I would have to search the
archives which I am sure you can do too!

The least desirable option from most points of view is to set the
mythtv gui to fit within the visible area and leave playback
overscanned.