[mythtv-users] Multiseat/Multiple mythfrontend oddness and questions

Mark D. Montgomery II techiem2 at techiem2.net
Fri Jan 29 06:20:21 UTC 2010

Quoting "Mark D. Montgomery II" <techiem2 at techiem2.net>:

> X seat 1 is on my primary video card (GeForce 7600GT) connected to a 19" LCD.
> X seat 2 is on my newer video card (GeForce 210) currently connected
>  to a 17" CRT (this card will ideally be connected via hdmi to the
> TV  at some point).
>
> When seat 1 starts up, it is fine.
> When seat 2 starts up, it is fine, but seat 1's monitor does the
> wrap-picture-around-monitor annoyance.

Swapping the video cards fixed this oddly enough.
I guess the newer card wanted to be initialized first.
hehe

> My second issue is that of running 2 instances of mythfrontend on
> the  same machine.

This turned out to be easy as well.
I realized that frontend has the option to use a custom machine name.
I have 2 separate frontend users created (separate from the mythtv
user), each with their frontend configuration set to a different
custom name.

The machine is now starting an X session for each of these users on
boot, one on each video card.

Mark II

--
Mark D. Montgomery II