[mythtv-users] Too many encoders showing up / upgrade from Ubuntu 9.10 to 9.04

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Fri Jan 29 13:53:09 UTC 2010

Ben Edwards wrote:

>>> On my myth box alough sound in mythfrontend is OK (alough I had to use
>>> a USB soundcard) I cant get it working when playing AVIs.  Ive tried
>>> ALSA (and used alsamixer) and OSS (/dev/dsp1) with the USB soundcard.
>>>  Again this only works in myth,  outside myth I can get intermitent
>>> sound with the USB soundcard using alsa and OSS bit it is does not
>>> work for long if at lall.
>>>

>> I could not get my sound to work at all when I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10
>> until I removed pulseaudio.
>>

> Thanks for this, how do you recomend I remove pulseaudio and still
> have sound working.  I have done some googeling and have found various
> advise but your insignt would be mutch appreciated.

Well, I'm not saying whether this is the correct fix or not. All I can
say is
that it worked here for me. I messed around for a couple of days with my
wife
and kids tapping their feet waiting for their Myth experience to return. I
Googled and read a ton of stuff and got the impression that it is mainly
the
Ubuntu - Myth - Pulse combination that doesn't work. So I removed it using
the Synaptic Package manager. I figured it would be simple to reinstall the
same way in case anything went wrong. After that I had sound.