[mythtv-users] easy way to switch between playback profiles?

Mike altmcf at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 22:47:22 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 6:03 AM, Mike <altmcf at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Geoff,
>>
>> The xvid files I am referring to are those downloaded off the web and
>> usually have filenames like xxxyyy_xvid.avi ... they don't require
>> XvMC to play back w/o stuttering and when I try to use XvMC to play
>> them back I hear only audio.  I ftp these into the videos directory of
>> the mythdora box.
>>
>> You are correct that I am using "Internal" as the default playback.
>> If I go with your options or xine (tried that awhile back) my position
>> is not saved during playback so if I exit the recording and want to go
>> back in I have to manually find where I left off.  Hence, using
>> "Internal" seemed like the best option here.  Is there a way to use an
>> "External" player (mplayer or xine) and have it remember the position
>> in the recording when you go back?
>>
>> Thanks for the assist.
>
> there is a wrapper script for mplayer called mplayer-resume which will
> do what you want.

Thanks Nick ... I searched the archive and found a mplayer-resume.sh
script that was posted.

Saved it to /usr/bin and made it executable.  Changed my player setting to:
mplayer-resume.sh %s

It looks like it is doing the right thing with respect to resume and
saves these *.resume files in my videos directory.  Only issue I see
with this solution is that once a recording has played you must
manually delete the *.resume file in order to play it again.  However,
this is a reasonable workaround and could be considered a feature
since I can't delete videos directly after watching them from the GUI.
 IE: I can't play it so I must have watched it already!

-Mike