[mythtv-users] Basic questions of newb. ( Cablevision)

Misc Things formisc at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 04:58:35 UTC 2010

Hello,
 i'm a newbie to this project. I did some reading and i hope that this
allows me to post (semi) intelligent questions.
Before i proceed with them, let me provide you with the basic information
that i learned is required:
1. I'm a US -> NJ ->Northen NJ.
2. my tv provider is Cablevision.
3. I have a HD DVR of Scientific Atlanta  (Explorer8300HD) from CV.
4. DVR has a firewire port, i have no idea if it's functional.
5. I have Sony HD ready tv.

What i want:
1. I want to stop paying for the DVR box and DVR service
2. I want to have DVR service/box and don't worry about fees.

What i suspect:
1. I suspect that i have to keep paying for the dreaded box.
2. I can drop the DVR service.

Questions:
1. Are my "wants" real?
2. Is my suspicion correct?
3. Can i drop the box and have all channels ( past 12 basic channels)
available for viewing using MyTv means?

I'll obviously have more questions based on the answers i'll receive.
Thank you.
Andrew