[mythtv-users] MythWeb - Can't access it from local network without the Allow from setting

greg greg12866 at nycap.rr.com
Sat Jan 30 23:13:43 UTC 2010

Jongi wrote:
> I am running Debian. I have to add "Allow from 192.168.1"
> to /etc/apache2/conf.d/mythweb.conf to access MythWeb when using
> computers on the local network. This is the error message I get:
>
> ----
> Internal Server Error
> unable to complete your request.
>
> Please contact the server administrator, webmaster at localhost and inform
> them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done
> that may have caused the error.
>
> More information about this error may be available in the server error
> log.
> ----
>
> The section in the conf file that deals with the authentication is:
>
>         AuthType           Digest
>         AuthName           "MythTV"
>         AuthUserFile       /etc/mythweb.password.digest
>         Require            valid-user
>         BrowserMatch       "MSIE"  AuthDigestEnableQueryStringHack=On
>         Order              allow,deny
>         #Allow from 192.168.1
>         Satisfy            any
>
> I have even done
>
> mythtv-debian:~# chown www-data:www-data /etc/mythweb.password.digest
> mythtv-debian:~# chmod 640 /etc/mythweb.password.digest
>
> When I Allow from 192.168.1, I can access it. What am I doing wrong?

I have been fighting with this today myself.. I always have problems
setting up Mythweb.. Here is how I got it working..I am using Ubuntu
9.10 so I hope it apply s to Debian also...
This will allow anyone on your LAN to access Mythweb,but outsiders can't
login unless they know your user name and password....

sudo a2enmod
When prompted for what module you want to enable enter:

auth_digest
Create your password directory
sudo mkdir /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd

Create your password FILE
sudo htdigest -c /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd/passwords MythTV
(your user name)

Grant permissions to the new password file:

sudo chown www-data /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd/passwords

sudo chgrp www-data /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd/passwords
sudo chmod 640 /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd/passwords

sudo nano /etc/apache2/apache2.conf

<Directory "/var/www/mythweb">
  Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
  AuthType Digest
  AuthName "MythTV"
  AuthUserFile /etc/mythtv/mythweb-digest/passwd/passwords
  Require valid-user
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from 192.168.1.
  Satisfy any