[mythtv-users] Playback freeze/lockup + kernel panic

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Jan 31 04:40:29 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 8:50 PM, steve <networks1 at cox.net> wrote:
> After a new build (FC12,dual core 3 ghz, 4 gb memory,HDPVR,nvidia 8400gs)
> recording is working great.  But on playback after some interval the
> frontend freezes.  Symptoms:
>
> About half the time, the screen goes black.  Other times it just freezes on
> a frame.
>
> In most but not all cases, the caps lock and scroll lock lights on the
> keyboard flash indicating a kernel panic.
>
> In all cases the system is locked up and won’t respond to any keyboard or
> other input, and requires a hard reset.

Can you ssh in? I've seen a system hard-lock during vdpau playback,
and not respond to keystrokes or mouse, but have still been able to
ssh in.

> The interval before the lockup is not consistent, even when playing the same
> recording.

Likely random memory corruption or some sort of race condition
somewhere in kernel-space.

> There are no messages in the frontend or backend log indicating a problem.
>
> What I’ve tried:
>
> Since this is a new box and I’m getting the kernel panic, I checked for bad
> memory.  Memtest86+ shows no problems.
>
> I unchecked “enable realtime priority” to see if that would help; it didn’t.
>
> What else can I do?

Get a stack trace. Hook up serial console or set up kdump if you have
to. Should get a good idea of where to look simply from the traceback.
Not really a whole lot else you can do without it. You could also try
an older or newer kernel, to see if its a regression or something
already fixed.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com