[mythtv-users] navigating dvd menus

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Jan 31 21:18:04 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:04:49AM -0800, Yan Seiner wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> >On Sunday 31 January 2010 08:46:31 am Yan Seiner wrote:
> >>Does anyone know of a utility that dumps a dvd menu structure in a way
> >>that can be easily processed by a shell script?
> >>
> >>I'm trying to find a way to identify the title that gets played when the
> >>user selects the "main feature" or "play feature" using a CLI script.
> >
> >The traditional wisdom is to simply select the longest file, it's
> >correct 99% of the time.
> That's what I'm doing now; the problem is that some of the newer
> DVDs seem to be catching on and creating dozens of nearly-identical
> length titles.  This has to be some sleight-of-hand as you can't fit
> 41 90+ minute features onto a single DVD but that's what I'm seeing.
> I'd love to get a look at the menu structure that sets this up.

    So far, in my own experience the first suitably long title will be
sufficient. There are other contexts in which a particular VOB will show
up in the menu multiple times and get ripped multiple times if your ripper
is kind of simpleminded.

    So multiple entry points for the same bit of content is not really
new. Although this nonsense with 99 titles on the disk is rather new.

[deletia]