[mythtv-users] VMWare on the backend. Viable solution?

Martin Ravell martin.ravell at rave-tech.com.au
Sun Jan 31 21:36:57 UTC 2010

>> That's weird. Gigabyte came back to me saying that the boards do not
support
>> VT-d.
>
>Yeah, but perhaps the support guy weren't informed correctly...I
>wouldn't expect them to know if two specific features (VT-x and VT-d)
>were merged from seperate options in the BIOS into just one option
>(VT-x). The answer they gave you, that only the old Core 2 series
>boards should support VT-d simply doesn't make sense in my mind. I
>would rather believe that the VT-d option was in beta/untested state
>when introduced in the Core 2 series boards, which explains why it had
>its own "hidden" option, instead of just being part of the regular VT
>on/off option.
>
>Also didn't you ask them about GA-P55-UD3P board? This is the
>UDP4P-model, which according to the last post in the following thread
>should support VT-d:
>http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/268442-12-p55a-ud4p-experience-needed#t
1866399

>Perhaps he just talked to another support guy :-D
>
>Best Regards
>Kenni Lund

The helldesk guy I spoke to did not inspire a lot of confidence and did go
off to confer with a colleague. I got the impression that he'd not ever
heard of VT-d or VT-x before my query.

So, in the face of contradictory information from multiple sources, short of
getting one of these boards and installing I still don't know if it is going
to do the job.

Who would have thought this issue to be so fraught with confusion, even from
the manufacturer?!?

Regards
Marty