[mythtv-users] Placement of subtitles / CC text on screen

Thomas Mørch tmorch at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 22:10:39 UTC 2010

2010/1/29 Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Thomas Mørch <tmorch at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What tag in the osd.xml file, defines where on the screen the subtitles /
> > closed caption text should be placed?
> >
> > Or is it defined somewhere else? I have been looking at different themes,
> > metalurgy f.ex. places the subtitles mid left on the screen, and the font
> is
> > nicely placed inside the black box.
>
> For EIA-608 and EIA-708 closed captions, position information is part
> of the data, and mythtv honors it.  DVD captions are just bitmap
> overlays.  What kind of captions/subtitles are you asking about?
>
> Jim

I don't know about EIA standards.. the captions are send via VBI teletext
pages (as far as I can tell).

a seperate stream in the dvb transport tells which page the captions are
located on.

If the theme obeys the position information that the tv station is sending
with the text, then something is broken. If I take a 16:9 theme (metalurgy
for example) then the text is moved to the midle of the lefthand side of the
screen, instead of bottom center. And if I use grey-osd, then it is placed
where it should be. So something tells me that it is defined in the theme,
where to place subtitles!?!?

Regards
Thomas