[mythtv-users] .24 Audio results: mixed

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 03:19:26 UTC 2010

Hi

On 1 July 2010 13:13, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
> The comment is:
> HDA ATI HDMI, ATI HDMI
> HDMI Audio Output
> Device supports up to 5.1 (digital output,AC3,DTS)
>
> From that I can't tell if it is reporting 2 channels or 5.1.

you would see multi-channel LPCM if it was supporting more than 2 channels.

So here it's reporting 2 channels only.
Because of the name, myth makes the assumption that it can support 5.1
if AC3 or DTS is used.

but natively, this device can only support 2.0 uncompressed sound.

I had pondered about changing the description for those with something
like supports stereo, (up to 5.1 with AC3 or DTS).. But I felt it was
too complicated and the user should be spare the details.

It will show Stereo in the speaker configuration, unless AC3 or DTS is checked

So from what you've described, everything is working as it should,
except for that first run...
I just had a look, it's pretty hopeless what's going on.
Even though the box shows the last device, what's actually selected is
the "NULL" device (which is the last entry added to the list)

go figure..

> That is what I did, but the big knob on the receiver was much more convenient than keys on the keyboard. Especially when I want
> to turn the sound down quickly. Also those keyboard keys only work with MythTV, otherwise the volume control is application
> dependent. Not very convenient.

mute button ? :)