[mythtv-users] .24 Audio results: mixed

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Thu Jul 1 03:38:58 UTC 2010

On 06/30/2010 08:19 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 1 July 2010 13:13, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
>> The comment is:
>> HDA ATI HDMI, ATI HDMI
>> HDMI Audio Output
>> Device supports up to 5.1 (digital output,AC3,DTS)
>>
>> From that I can't tell if it is reporting 2 channels or 5.1.
>
> you would see multi-channel LPCM if it was supporting more than 2 channels.
>
> So here it's reporting 2 channels only.
> Because of the name, myth makes the assumption that it can support 5.1
> if AC3 or DTS is used.

Ok, now I'm annoyed. There is no way to get digital 7.1 from my computer to any receiver. I wasn't sure I could get the HDMI to
work (not that I have anything that can decode HDMI at the moment) because I'm using dual link DVI to drive my monitor, so I'm
not sure it is possible to get HDMI sound out of the HDMI port when that port is not used for video. But that problem is moot,
because I can't get 7.1 digital sound out of it even if it did work.

Is there a digital sound format that supports 7.1 that is not HDMI? I suppose Display Port, but that is on the same video card
and would suffer the same 2 channel limitation as the HDMI port on the same card. It also would not work with the dual link DVI
KVM I am using.

>> That is what I did, but the big knob on the receiver was much more convenient than keys on the keyboard. Especially when I want
>> to turn the sound down quickly. Also those keyboard keys only work with MythTV, otherwise the volume control is application
>> dependent. Not very convenient.
>
> mute button ? :)

Even worse. That is only on the remote which I seldom use since the receiver is in easy reach. I'm not even sure the mute button
would even work since that attenuates the output by about 30 dB on this receiver rather than turning off the sound.