[mythtv-users] JYA release repo + jaunty problems with mythbackend starting

David Asher asherml at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 17:08:19 UTC 2010

On Jul 1, 2010, at 12:20 AM, Phil Wild wrote:

> On 30 June 2010 09:39, David Asher <asherml at gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like the JYA release mythtv-backend package on jaunty now tries to use upstart to start the job (/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend is GONE).
>
> Unfortunately mythtv-backend doesn't start for me.  When I try to do it by hand I get:
>
> $ sudo start mythtv-backend
> start: Unknown job: mythtv-backend
> $
>
> Can any one help me?  I have NO idea how upstart works.  Pointers to what to look at would be great.  I did check that upstart was installed:
>
> $ aptitude search upstart
> i   upstart                                               - event-based init daemon
> i   upstart-compat-sysv                                   - compatibility for System-V-like init
> i   upstart-logd                                          - boot logging daemon
>
> JYA, did you intend to switch the 9.04 mythtv-backend package over to upstart?
>
> Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>
> David.
>

> I had the same issue after a clean install of ubuntu followed by the installation of JYA's packages. I resolved it by first installing the standard mythbuntu nythtv packages, and then overlaying the JYA packages over the top.
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil

I essentially found an old 0.22-fixes .deb and extracted the /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend file from it and am using it.  What's really odd is I don't know what action finally caused the file to be removed.  It looks like it hasn't been part of the packages for quite a while.

I'm hoping it will get added back to the mythtv-backend package for jaunty (9.04).  Although, moving on to at least karmic (9.10) increasingly seems to be a good idea.  9.04 support is waning in many areas.

David.