[mythtv-users] Question about DTA box usage

Jeff Artz jeffa.myth at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 21:58:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 07/01/2010 02:09 PM, Brent Meyer wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Harry Devine<lifter89 at comcast.net>
>>  wrote:
>>

>>> ... could
>>> I hook up 1 of those DTA boxes to the pcHDTV card and still capture the
>>> recordings that it used to provide me on the basic 2-99 channels?  If it
>>> can
>>> be done, are there any specific issues or wiring considerations?
>>>
>>> The HD-5500 has an analog tuner that works fine in Myth, so you can
>> still use your HD-5500 to capture analog video from the DTA box. There
>> is, however, a big caveat--you'll need a way to change channels on the
>> DTA box (that is, you'll need an IR blaster of some sort, and you'll
>> need to configure lirc to talk to the DTA).

Harry,

One other thing to note - although the HD-5500 has an analog tuner, it does
not have a hardware MPEG encoder, so therefore it is just a 'framegrabber'
card.  Therefore MythTV will have to compress it on the fly, requiring much
more CPU than tuning in a Digital signal and just dumping the stream to
disk...

J-e-f-f-A