[mythtv-users] ION Mobo with ability to have firewire?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Jul 1 22:07:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, July 01, 2010 03:47:45 pm Gabe Rubin wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I am considering upgrading my mythbox to an ION based system.
>> Originally, I thought I should just get the Revo; however, I get all
>> my HD content through firewire and would rather not purchase a HD-PVR
>> at this time as long as my cable provider gives me all my content
>> through firewire.  Does anyone know of a solution that will allow me
>> to have a cheap, quiet, VDAPU-capable motherboard (or pre-assembled
>> computer) that either has firewire included or the ability to add that
>> on via a card?

One of the Zotac ion boards has a pcie x16 slot you could put a pcie
x1 card in, and one of the Asus ion boards has a PCI slot you could do
the same with. Personally, I punted on an ion for my primary frontend,
and went with a uatx system and a GT220 video card, better overall
picture/performance/etc.

> A Revo is best used as a frontend, and Firewire is something a backend wants.
>
> If you have any serious computing to do, like transcoding or commflagging, a Revo may not be the best bet.
>
> PCI slots are disappearing fast, Intel has decreed they are obsolete. I've not yet seen a PCI-Express 1X firewire card,

I have several. Some of them I've had for well over a year (possibly
closer to 2). :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com