[mythtv-users] ION Mobo with ability to have firewire?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Jul 2 02:19:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, July 01, 2010 04:07:39 pm Jarod Wilson wrote:
>

>> > PCI slots are disappearing fast, Intel has decreed they are obsolete.
>> > I've not yet seen a PCI-Express 1X firewire card,
>>
>> I have several. Some of them I've had for well over a year (possibly
>> closer to 2). :)
>
> Of course you are more likely to get access to new hardware than I am :-)

True. Though at least one of mine, ordered over a year ago, was a
newegg.com purchase. (A pci-e x1 fw800 card).

> Glad to hear they are available. A lot of the PCI cards were Firewire/USB combos, but I guess just about any motherboard
> these days has USB 2.0 (if not 3.0) on board.
>
> A firewire/serial combo would be nice too, serial ports are getting hard to find, and the lirc-based blasters can't use the
> USB serial adapters.

Haven't seen any firewire/serial combo cards, but certainly firewire/usb.

> Thanks for pointing out that you can put an x1 card in an x16 (or x4, or x8) slot. Many people don't realize this.

Of course, caveat emptor, some x16 slots, at least in early/crappy
bios, only support video cards.

> Though firewire is disappearing, even from some Macs, I think it will stick around just for the DV cameras if nothing else,
> to the benefit of Mythers everywhere.

Yeah, the base macbook and the macbook air are w/o it (and the
appletv, if you want to count that). Everything else from apple comes
w/fw800 now though.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com