[mythtv-users] Easy front-end?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Jul 2 13:47:37 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 10:11:13PM -0700, blake wrote:
> I've been having the Devil's own time with my MythTV setup since I upgraded
> from mythbuntu 8.10.
>
> The back-end's been solid. But the front-end (same machine) won't
> consistently stick to a video driver. It gives a number of boot-to-low-res
> errors, the Nvidia control center says the hardware driver's not in use but
> the Ubuntu hardware driver utility says it is. It changes around when it
> boots. Lots of weird stuff like that. (I'm using an Abit A-N78HD with the
> NVidia GeForce 8200 on board.)
>
> This has all coincided with my being away a whole lot and unable to spend
> much time tweaking. I was thinking a simple solution might be to get a very
> simple front-end that I could hook up to the network.

    There's a definite advantage to having your frontend separate. You can
get away with a much older backend than frontend. I've upgraded my own FEs
to 10.04 because of this. I found the config for the latest release was
expecting newer versions of vdpau then I could get from the package manager.

    In general, I would hesitate to mess with a master backend and go for the
option of separating the frontend onto a separate ION box

> Any thoughts?

    My own dedicated backend boxes will remain at whatever Ubuntu release they
currently have despite the fact that I have the frontend boxes running 10.04.
I prefer to only upgrade distros when build dependencies force me.