[mythtv-users] Hmmmm

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Fri Jul 2 18:37:38 UTC 2010

On 02/07/2010 12:16 PM, Jason Ward wrote:
> OK, thanks everyone, yes, I want MythTV to behave like an appliance.

Then why don't you use one of the appliance distros like LinHes
(http://mysettopbox.tv/)? These are purpose built mythtv solutions where
any updates are pre-tested before release.

Generally when I see people using something like Mythbuntu, I assume
they are not seeking an appliance but a box that does myth as well as
some other things (e.g. web server, desktop, etc). The myth appliances
on the other hand tend to be stripped down to what is required to run
myth hence improving security and reducing interactions.

All of my front ends have always been appliance versions. My backend
used to run on my main server which is CentOS based but I have since
implemented VMWare on that server and I created a guest which is now a
myth appliance.

I find this keeps my myth life simple and stable.