[mythtv-users] Hmmmm

Jos Hoekstra joshoekstra at gmx.net
Fri Jul 2 20:47:38 UTC 2010

Op 2-7-2010 18:59, Travis Tabbal schreef:

> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Jason Ward <jasonfward at gmail.com
> <mailto:jasonfward at gmail.com>> wrote:
> > But if upgrading the latest release is going to cause me problems,
> but not
> > running updates means my system is less secure and won't have any
> existing
> > issues cleared, I feel like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.
> >
> > Oh well, not anyones fault, just a compromise that I must choose,
> whilst not
> > actually really understanding my choice.  But for me, MythTV needs
> to work
> > as an appliance, so I guess infrequent, say twice annually updates to
> > coincide with new releases of Ubuntu is what I need to do.
>
> There's always a tradeoff. :) Your Myth boxes shouldn't be exposed
> directly to the internet, so security is less of a concern. It still
> matters, but keep an eye on what they are updating and why they are
> doing it. If the fix is for SSL, but you aren't exposing SSL to the
> internet, the fix is less of a concern for you. Not that there aren't
> internal threats as well, but they are less likely. Personally, I
> expose only SSH and OpenVPN to the internet, so those are the packages
> I watch closely for OS level updates. Myth I just update when I feel
> the need to update everything else or there is a problem I suspect
> might be corrected in -fixes.
>
> It would be nice if there were a more stability based update branch
> available, only critical fixes or something like that. Even then, you
> might still run into problems. I'm using Ubuntu as well, still 9.10,
> but I'll likely be updating to the LTS release here soon. Then likely
> stay there for a while unless I see a reason to update. LTS is nice as
> Ubuntu guarantees security fixes for the long term. With media related
> stuff you can't always stay there as long as you might like though,
> just because you need newer libs or similar.

With mythbuntu it's always a good idea to check versions of packages and
if all package line-up, so all the components you've got installed are
updated at once. I've noticed more than once tthat the mythbuntu-ppa
updates packages and puts them in the repo before all packages are built.
I use synaptic once a week to manually update mythtv-packages and check
if versions are the same, if not all are there I wait.

As for the not found recording erro I wouldn't know for sure what it is...